Emergency Closing Information
In a school facility emergency (i.e. broken pipes, heat failure, etc.) the CCS staff will notify families by phone. In the event of bad weather, school closings will be announced by approximately 6:00a.m. in the following ways:
• A message will be left on the school voice mail (Please do not call before 6:00a.m.)
• A message regarding the closing will be posted on the school website: covenantchristianaurora.org
• A message will be posted on the following website: www.cancellations.com
School closings are determined in the following manner:
• The administrator closely monitors the weather through many sources that serve as projections with only God having full knowledge of the weather.
• Although the goal is to make school closing decisions by 6:00a.m., this is not always feasible for numerous reasons. However, every effort will be made to do so.
• At times the decision regarding a school closing may not appear prudent to some; however, someone needs to make the decision and the administrator will attempt to make the best judgment with consideration for CCS staff and families with the tools available.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCIPAL (9/21/2011)
Dear Parents:Should an emergency or disaster situation ever arise in our area while school is in session, we want you to be aware that the school has made preparations to respond effectively to such situations.
Should we have a major disaster during school hours, your student(s) will be cared for at this school. Our School has a detailed emergency operations plan which has been formulated to respond to a major catastrophe.Your cooperation is necessary in any emergency.
1. Do not telephone the school. Telephone lines may be needed for emergency communication.
2. In the event of a serious emergency, students will be kept at school until they are picked up by an identified, responsible adult who has been identified as such on the school emergency card which is required to be filled out by parents at the beginning of every school year. Please be sure you consider the following criteria when you authorize another person to pick up your child at school:
· He/she is 18 years of age or older.
· He/she is usually home during the day.
· He/she could walk to school, if necessary.
· He/she is known to your child.
· He/she is both aware and able to assume this responsibility.
3. If students are to be kept at school, parents will be notified. If electrical service is not affected, information will be relayed via the School’s web site.
4. Impress upon your children the need for them to follow the directions of any school personnel in times of an emergency
During an extreme emergency, students will be released at the circle drive off of Edgelawn. Parents should become familiar with the School Emergency Disaster Plan (see school web site) and be patient and understanding with the student release process. Please instruct your student to remain at school until you or a designee arrives. Because local telephone service may be disrupted, also list an out-of-State contact on the emergency card, as calls may still be made out of the area while incoming calls are affected. The decision to keep students at school will be based upon whether or not streets in the area are open. If this occurs, radio stations will be notified.
In the event a natural disaster occurs or a hazardous release event (chemical spill), the students will be taken to the nearest identified reunification center (Temple B’nai 400 North Edgelawn Drive, Aurora, Illinois 60506 | Phone: 630-892-2450 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 630-892-2450 end_of_the_skype_highlighting or First Christian Church on corner of Illinois and Randall) and from there you will be notified of the students’ whereabouts by phone, email, or web site. Please do not come to the school. Reunification procedures will be initiated at those reunification sites with parents signing out their students at the facility check-in office. Teachers will identify whether the correct person listed on the emergency cards are picking up the child and then bring them to the check-in office.Please discuss these matters with your immediate family. Planning ahead will help alleviate concern during emergencies.
Mrs. Nina Bissett, CCS Principal